Early "mis[s]"(1652) as title?

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sat Aug 29 14:51:21 UTC 2009

I am all confuzzled . . .

Why can't it simply be 1b -- abbreviation for "Mistress", and isn't
"Mrs." ultimately just another abbreviation via "Missus"? There is
that lovely extra connotation of sense 1a because of the
circumstances .

I don't see it needing to be read, or being clearly read, as an
antedate of sense 2. But perhaps I'm missing something.

---Amy West