Early "mis[s]"(1652) as title?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 29 16:09:41 UTC 2009

At 8/29/2009 10:50 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>OK--I checked a couple of sources and this assessment appears to be
>correct. The punishment for fornication was 5 pounds to each party,

In the Plymouth Colony (from 1645), the fine was less if
(1)  the couple married; and even less if
(2)  the couple was under contract to marry.
Paternity and financial responsibility were assignable in such cases,
whereas there might be doubt (or a missing male) with unaffianced or
unmarried persons.  (I have not researched the Massachusetts law for
fornication.)

Joel