Moot > mute (point) eggcorn redux

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 31 10:21:41 UTC 2009

If "moot" is said with a "y glide" it becomes "mute" which is a different word with a different meaning.  I don't see the point here.

Granted you don't hear the word "moot" much.  But there's a big "moot" in "My cousin Vinny".

Lisa:    So what's your problem?
Gambini:    My problem is, I wanted to win my first case without any help from anybody.
Lisa:    Well, I guess that plan's moot.
Gambini:    Yeah.

This film is an hilarious clash of culture and accents, NYC Italian vs Alabama country folk.

Gambini:    Is it possible the two "yoots"--  (~yuets)
Judge:    Two what? What was that word?
Gambini:    What word?
Judge:    Two what?
Gambini:    What?
Judge:    Did you say yoots?
Gambini:    Yeah, two yoots.
Judge:    What is a yoot?
Gambini:    Excuse me your Honor, two "youths." (~yuethz)

see truespel.com phonetic spelling