More on "soft-core pornography" antedating (1961)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 2 00:51:07 UTC 2009

Interesting.  I can't add anything about William
A. Christian, with whom I didn't overlap at Yale,
and I don't have anything to contribute on core
density, but I remember Eustace Chesser from his
classic manual (late 50's?  early 60's) _Love
Without Fear_.  I recall cultural pundits of the
time remarking on the significance of the shift
from the "Love Without Fear" era to that of "Sex
Without Guilt" (a best-selling guide that
postdated Chesser's, written by the
cognitive-rational therapy guru Albert [no
relation to Havelock] Ellis).  One significant
development that occurred post-Chesser and
pre-Ellis was of course The Pill.

LH