More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 4 15:16:58 UTC 2009

The quote was attributed, by the 14-year-old victim, to a
16-year-old African-American defendant in a trial for attempted rape in
Currituck Co., N.C., in September, 1865.  The defendant's conviction
resulted, perhaps surprisingly, in a sentence of just one month in jail.

What may be most startling about the records Lowry has unearthed is the
unusually vivid reminder they provide of just how
inadequate is *literature* as an evocation of past eras.

JL
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.

> So, _cock_ has been used to mean "vagina" for more than a century. Was
> the person who said it from the North or from the South?
>
> -Wilson
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.

> > Psychiatrist Dr. Thomas P. Lowry has compiled several ground-breaking
> books
> > on the Civil War based on exhaustive studies of Union court-martial
> records
> > and other government documents in the National Archives. (Records of
> > Confederate court-martials were unfortunately destroyed during the fall
> of
> > Richmond.)
> >
> > By focusing on the seamy side of the war, Lowry's books, _The Story the
> > Soldiers Wouldn't Tell_ and _Tarnished Eagles_, prove that humans were
> every
> > bit as sick and obnoxious back during the War Between the States as they
> are
> > now. They include numerous verbatim exx. of language that nice people
> like
> > Julia Ward Howe never used, at least in print.  Lowry's latest book,
> _Sexual
> > Misbehavior in the Civil War_, gives even more exx. worthy of
> > lexicographical notice.  "Victorianism"?  These mid-19th C. speakers
> never
> > heard of it.
> >
> > Lowry scrupulously refers each and every quotation to a specific record
> in
> > the National Archives, so Jesse's team of verifiers should be able to
> > confirm precise dates and details. I note nearly a hundred citations of
> > lexicographical interest, most of them antedatings of entries in OED and
> > HDAS by many decades.
> >
> > The following astonishingly sample, all from _Sexual Misbehavior_, should
> be
> > dated to "1861-65" unless otherwise noted.  They reveal a world more like
> > _From Here to Eternity_ than like _The Red Badge of Courage_. Dr. Lowry
> > deserves our thanks for helping to set the historical record straight.
> >
> > P. 132 [1865]: "Let me put my prick in your cock." (Vagina.)
> >
> > P. 134 [1864-65]: "He put his pecker right into me."
> >
> > P. 156 [1863-65]: "[He asked her for] "some skin....a pretty question to
> ask
> > a married woman."
> >
> > P. 189: "They...made him jerk himself off, made him come his oats."
> >
> > P. 193 [1863]: "I am in a bad way in regard to my eyes...jacking off is
> [...]

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"