More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.

Sun Dec 6 13:38:20 UTC 2009

A joke that my father told from his youth in Iowa in the 1920s: "She swallowed a pin at age 10 but didn't feel a prick until she was 16."

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
Date:         Sat, 5 Dec 2009 22:36:26
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.

_Cock_ for "vagina" is *still* the "standard" term in BE. And the old
anecdote to the effect that, during the Carter Presidency,
(presumably) white Georgians joked that Yankees couldn't tell men from
women permits the inference that "cock" for "vagina" is at least
familiar to, if not ordinarily used by, some white Southerners. OTOH,
that the boy used "prick" catches me by surprise, if the victim's
entire utterance is a quote from her attacker. I know "prick" only as
a literary term or a term of opprobrium used by white people. But
then, there's the case of the black blues-singer from the '20's or
'30's referring by "blue balls" to what I knew only as "lover's nuts"
till I was in my '30's. I had heard the term used only by white guys,
but, even then, so rarely, that I had never even concerned myself with
its meaning. I would have bet money that black people had *never* used
it. Till only a couple of months ago, when I heard that record.

As for the sentence, amazingly trivial, even - or especially - for
those days, some WAG's are that the girl wasn't a virgin, had a "bad
reputation," had "asked for it," or she was poor and of no account,
whereas the boy's boss-man - a euphemism that still means,
essentially, "owner" - was wealthy, held high social status, and
didn't care to have his "people" messed with by "trash."

FWIW, in my lost youth, the enjoyment of um-literarature was spoiled
by the the near-universal, standard use of "cock" for "penis" by its
authors, this use something that I'd never encountered before I'd
reached my early twenties. (In Saint Louis, porn was harder to acquire
than heroin, if you were under 21.) It was worse than trying to read
authors who used "dry" to mean "wet" or "high" to mean "low."

-Wilson

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.
>
> The quote was attributed, by the 14-year-old victim, to a
> 16-year-old African-American defendant in a trial for attempted rape in
> Currituck Co., N.C., in September, 1865.  The defendant's conviction
> resulted, perhaps surprisingly, in a sentence of just one month in jail.
>
> What may be most startling about the records Lowry has unearthed is the
> unusually vivid reminder they provide of just how
> inadequate is *literature* as an evocation of past eras.
>
> JL
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> So,_cock_ has been used to mean "vagina" for more than a century. Was
>> the person who said it from the North or from the South?
>>
>> -Wilson
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>> -----------------------
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>> > Subject:      More bad (and I mean bad) language from olden days.
>> >
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>> >
>> > Psychiatrist Dr. Thomas P. Lowry has compiled several ground-breaking
>> books
>> > on the Civil War based on exhaustive studies of Union court-martial
>> records
>> > and other government documents in the National Archives. (Records of
>> > Confederate court-martials were unfortunately destroyed during the fall
>> of
>> > Richmond.)
>> >
>> > By focusing on the seamy side of the war, Lowry's books,_The Story the
>> > Soldiers Wouldn't Tell_ and_Tarnished Eagles_, prove that humans were
>> every
>> > bit as sick and obnoxious back during the War Between the States as the=
>> are
>> > now. They include numerous verbatim exx. of language that nice people
>> like
>> > Julia Ward Howe never used, at least in print.  Lowry's latest book,
>>_Sexual
>> > Misbehavior in the Civil War_, gives even more exx. worthy of
>> > lexicographical notice.  "Victorianism"?  These mid-19th C. speakers
>> never
>> > heard of it.
>> >
>> > Lowry scrupulously refers each and every quotation to a specific record
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain