From the annals of bizarre metaphors

Sun Dec 6 20:34:46 UTC 2009

Victor Steinbok said
> "I am not surprised that the BYU-Utah football rivalry caused BYU
> quarterback Max Hall to *go all Three Mile Island on us* last
> Saturday. Such a meltdown has been brewing for years. It was bound to
> happen somewhere, sometime, to somebody."
>
> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705348524/Why-is-Y-ignoring-spew-of-hatred.html
>
> VS-)

The partial meltdown of the reactor core at Three Mile Island occurred
in 1979, but a superficial search shows only relatively recent
examples of "going three mile island". The phrase "going chernobyl"
also appears.

1995 Dec 17 Nystagmus sci.med.vision
The impact on one's life is far more than people imagine - reading or
focusing on moving objects gives you a headache (and I love to read -
Just try to cram technical manuals for a hot project at work without
your head going Chernobyl(sp).
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.vision/browse_thread/thread/e41c9a29d56e555f/1695ac81d3fb36d?q=%22going+chernobyl%22#01695ac81d3fb36d

2004-08-20, 05:59 PM Aaron Brachowitz
Kerry: How dare you criticize my Vietnam service!!!
Public: Man, this dude is going all Three Mile Island on us.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/archive/index.php/t-35537.html

2005 Feb 03 (6:54 am) by grandmasterb
After cooling down a bit (I have every right to be going three mile
island here) I go inside and ask the receptionist if I can talk to the
sales manager.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef006d2/6551

2006, Management by Baseball: The Official Rules for Winning
Management in Any Field by Jeff Angus, HarperCollins.
He instructed the Chicken to desist. The Chicken agreed. Then he
immediately started up. The fans loved it, but Piniella went Three
Mile Island and chased the Chicken with lethal intent.
http://books.google.com/books?id=xUyZ7aGu72YC&q=mile+island#v=snippet&q=mile%20island&f=false

2008 Mar 12 at 9:14 pm EDT By Nocore
This is a great set of endorsements. I love seeing the military brass
coming out for Barack.
Too bad it's being eclipsed by Ferraro and Hillary going Three Mile
Island on us. Man, is that campaign ever melting down.
http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGBTgn/commentary

2008 May 6, Immelman's brother masters teaching by Steve Hummer,
Atlanta Journal Constitution.
All the fried food went Three Mile Island on his stomach.
http://www.ajc.com/ajccars/content/sports/stories/2008/05/05/mimmelman_0506.html

2009 Jan 21 Be a Good Fan, Save Your $cratch by Derek Mead
Despite the economy going Chernobyl, a tremendous lack of fresh water
that will probably initiate the next Civil War and the impending doom
of the black abalone and numerous other obscure creatures, people are
pretty stoked on life right now.
http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=18083

2009 Mar 27 Top 10 things for college hockey nerds to watch for in the tourney
Words cannot express the joy I derive from seeing a previously very
good UNH team going Chernobyl on national television.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Top-10-things-for-college-hockey-nerds-to-watch-?urn=nhl,151027