whipping words

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 10 16:47:19 UTC 2009

At 10:41 AM -0500 12/10/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Can you rule out that it's the imperative?

I think we can given the intonation.  Plus the general cultural context:
The form of the statement is precisely that of the bumper sticker
meme, as in the classic:

RUGBY PLAYERS DO IT WITH LEATHER BALLS

where the statement is invariably generic (not imperative), X denotes
a class defined by occupation or some other relevant property, and Y
is a manner adverb or prepositional phrase.  Let's see--ah, good,
here's a web site with countless examples of such "actual" bumper
stickers, with double entendres ranging from the subtle to the
strained to the obvious to the gross:
http://www.devonavenue.com/entertainment/humor.htm
(Linguists are included in a fairly predictable way--I'd have gone
with "with recursive embedding" myself--but you'll have to supply
your own bumper stickers for how dialectologists and lexicographers
do it.)
No entry for Dominatrix (singular or plural), but there are a few
indirectly relevant ones:

COMPUTER SCIENTISTS DO IT ON COMMAND
PROGRAMMERS DO IT ON COMMAND
SOLDIERS DO IT ON COMMAND

(Not officers, you'll notice.)

Plus, as I mentioned, one doesn't give commands to a dominatrix--that
would pretty much defeat the whole point of a dominatrix and turn her
into a submittrix.

LH