assimilation?!?!

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Thu Dec 10 17:26:24 UTC 2009

I just heard during a pitch for money by an NPR affiliate the statement in
part which I am sure was written as .

..Six CDs.

However, I heard it, in my inimitably sarcastic frame of mind, .

..sick CDs.

This is no doubt because of phonological juxtaposition of sibilants.  But,
how is a translator (doing so simultaneously) going to know other than by
context?

I'm not up on this sort of thing (spending most of my energy and attention
to new words). Have there been famous and humorous examples?

Regards,

DKB

Barnhart at highlands.com