penmanship = "authorial skill"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 10 18:03:39 UTC 2009

At 12/10/2009 12:44 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Another "it had to happen."

Or is it merely re-happening?  What about the OED's

2. The action, process, or style of composing a document or other
written work; literary composition, authorship. Now rare.
1793 J. BENTHAM Mem. & Corr. in Wks. (1843) X. 292 The penmanship of
the statutes..has, every now and then, become the subject of a
dissatisfaction. 1818 J. BENTHAM Church-of-Englandism 329 The men of
law..by whom a part was taken in the penmanship of this Act. 1844
DICKENS Let. 27 Jan. (1977) IV. 32, I..have been so much engaged in
another kind of Penmanship, that I have not answered a letter this
fortnight. 1978 P. LOVESEY Waxwork 231 A report..would be polished
into a model of penmanship, rational and cogent.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his distastes.

Joel