Say goodbye to the decade with no name

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Dec 16 06:08:27 UTC 2009

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Say goodbye to the decade with no name

We prepared for the first decade of the new millennium of the Common
Era by wondering what to call it: the 0's? the 0-0's? the double
zeroes, the aughts, naughts or naughties?

We wound up calling it nothing, but not because nothing happened -- in
some ways, too much happened too quickly, and the decade filled up
with new words and phrases we'd just as soon forget. But because no
one came up with a good name for the ten-year period that's about to
expire, I'm calling it the decade with no name.

read the whole post on the decade with no name at the Web of Language: http://bit.ly/weblan
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics