Odd rhyme claim

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 16 16:01:29 UTC 2009

And if you elocuted slowly (with or without extended pinky) the slant rhyme
(roughly ah/aw) might be close enough to work.

But it's starting to look as though Hollander erred if he assumed that a
full rhyme was either intended or demanded.

How much did prescribed 19th C. "elocutionary pronunciation" in America
depart from the real thing?  The actors who read books on CD are, of course,
much more careful/ formal in than they would be in ordinary speech,
but, even as slant rhyme from Concord, the Emerson case seems to go beyond
anything that would be expected today.

JL

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Odd rhyme claim

> Margaret Winters and I were talking about this oddity this morning, and she
> pointed out that the word 'thought' seems to have undergone an idiosyncratic
> shift from the 'awe' vowel to short-o in British English in the nineteenth
> century, as indicated by the occasional 'eye dialect' spelling 'thot'.  On
> this side of the Atlantic, in 'ah'-'awe' merger areas that would explain
> half of the puzzle (and a pinky-extended secondary stress on the final
> syllable would explain the other half).
> Just our 2c worth...
>
> Geoff
>
> Geoffrey S. Nathan
> Faculty Liaison, C&IT
> and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
> +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
> +1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"