A new collective noun: "astonishment"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 19 03:53:48 UTC 2009

I believe that many or most of these (and more) are, essentially, BS.

All were boosted in a coffee-table book called _An Exaltation of Larks, or
The Venereal Game_ (get it?), 1968.  The author, James Lipton, put out a
much expanded edition in 1993 - expanded, as he admits, by his own
imagination and those of clever correspondents.

Search the OED for the terms there listed and you will find few that have
been in actual use, though a surprising number appear in Renaissance word
lists (and nowhere else before the 20th C.).

To take one popular ex., the OED notes under "murder" (of crows),
"One of many alleged group names found in late Middle English glossarial
sources. App. revived in the 20th cent."

Of those listed in OED, many are described as "alleged."

"Clowder" of cats and "bale" of turtles, now wildly popular in certain
circles, seem not to be in OED at all.

C. E. Hare, in a book pub'd in 1939, seems to be responsible for the
reintroduction and promotion, among "word-lovers," of many such colorful
terms.

JL