Yale Book of Quotations in New York Times

Sun Dec 20 21:01:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> Today's New York Times has an article in the Week in Review section, focusing on the
> fact that the Yale Book of Quotations list of the 10 most notable quotes of the year has
> three from South Carolina.  This is good timing to remind Times readers that the YBQ
> is the ideal Christmas present:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/weekinreview/20brown.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

And two years ago, Fred's #2 quotation (losing out to "Don't tase me,
bro") was from Lauren Caitlin Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA:

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because
some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that
our education like such as in South Africa and Iraq and everywhere
like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in
the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should
help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our
future for us."

--Ben Zimmer