"Keep your eye peeled" slight antedating (1848) "keep your eyes skinned" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 23 19:30:58 UTC 2009

You can keep your ears skinned too:

1959 David Piper _Trial By Battle_ (N.Y.: Chilmark, 1965) 127: And you must
keep your eyes and ears skinned for tanks.

Sir David (1918-1991) served in the British Indian Army during WWII. He was
later first Director of the Ashmolean Museum.

JL