Heard on NFL Blackhawks vs. Redwings

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 28 15:19:05 UTC 2009

At 5:42 AM -0800 12/28/09, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>  >Re the quick and the dead ...

>  >>> of references. BB

I don't know if this counts as "outside of references", but it's been
used as the title of a number of books and movies, not infrequently
in military contexts.  This may have prompted the basic training joke
pun below, and I've always assumed (without evidence) that Norman
Mailer's WWII novel _The Naked and the Dead_ (the one with all the
"fug"s that prompted the (real or apocryphal) line of Tallullah
Bankhead's that we've discussed on the list--"You're the young man
who doesn't know how to spell 'fuck'") was an intended reference to
"the quick and the dead".

LH