The Noughties

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 28 18:24:00 UTC 2009

At 2:59 PM -0200 12/28/09, David A. Daniel wrote:
>OK, I did not follow the thread on the "Decade with no name" so if this was
>brought up therein, I apologize. Cnn.com article "How Tiger defined golf in
>the Noughties", which seems pretty apropos to me. I see most Google results
>seem to be of the Brit persuasion, which makes sense since they tend to use
>nought/naught more than Americans, and using the version with o creates a
>distinction though with recognizable pun-ish kinship to naughty. And then
>cnn.com has another, perhaps not coincidental, report on The Era of Sex
>Scandals. Anyway, Noughties gets my vote.
>DAD

I second the motion.  Paul Krugman has a column today on "The Big
Zero", in which he also considers "the aughties" and the "the
naughties" for "the decade in which nothing good happened"--
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/28/opinion/28krugman.html
--but for the reasons you give, I think "the Noughties" is a more
elegant solution.

LH