Further Antedating of "Real McCoy"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 29 16:17:16 UTC 2009

WorldCat lists "A New Song Call'd The real McCoy,"  printed  by P. Brereton,
Dublin,  about 1870. It commences, "You lads and lasses draw near I'm going
to sing a song." The complete text seems not to be available.

Its apparent transatlantic popularity in the 1870s suggests that the song's
title may have been the effective source of the phrase.

JL