Singular or plural?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 30 00:38:06 UTC 2009

Strictly in terms of raw googits, for what it's worth, "barracks (was
or is)" gets 5 million; "barracks (were or are) gets 6.18 million.  My
guess is that there isn't much difference in the frequency of singular
vs. plural uses.  Without a determiner, as in "New barracks *was/were
built," plural is necessary, but with a definite article, "the Marine
barracks was bombed," singular works.  Barracks belongs to one of
several classes of noun that grammars list as sometimes or always
taking singular verbs and allowing the indefinite article, but these
lists rarely include any explanation beyond possible membership, e.g.,
diseases (measles, mumps, rickets), games (checkers, darts, quoits
(what's a quoit)), miscellaneous other terms (barracks, scissors,
shears).  A few years ago a graduate student of mine did his
dissertation on the treatment of words like these by different social
groups and found considerable variation both within and across groups.

Herb