assorted comments

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Thu Dec 31 15:00:15 UTC 2009

Margaret Lee <mlee303 at YAHOO.COM> asked for a translation from HTML into (presumbaly) White English.
Here goes:

Subject: Re: Job Opening in Linguistics / Applied Linguistics

Assistant Professor, Linguistics/Applied Linguistics

The Department of English andLinguistics of Indiana University Purdue University, Fort Wayne (IPFW) invites applications for a tenure-track appointment in linguistics at the rank ofAssistant Professor to begin August, 2010.

Teaching English as a New Language program with state endorsements, and is developing a separate undergraduate major in Linguistics

Ph.D in hand by August, 2010. Minimum one-year teaching experience is required.
Applications should includethe following:

Cover letter indicating research focus and teaching experience
Curriculum Vitae
Unofficial Transcripts
Names and contact information for three currentreferences

ApplicationDeadline: November 16, 2009. First-round interviews to coincide
with the Linguistic Society of America conference, 2010, in Baltimore.

 260 481 6751
Please visit our website http://www.ipfw.edu/engl/to learn more about our department.

Indiana University-Purdue University, Fort Wayne is located on a growing campus of approximately 13,000 students in a metropolitan area of approximately  300,000 people. IPFW is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access, Affirmative Action University fully committed to a diverse workforce.

Beth Lee Simon, Ph.D.
Professor, Linguistics and English
Indiana University Purdue University
Fort Wayne, In 46805, U.S.
voice (011) 260 481 6761=20
email simon at ipfw.edu

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I note the interesting expression "Ph.D in hand".  Is this standard academic jargon?

I wonder what the team name for IPFW athletic teams is.  Hoosiermaker?

I've heard of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, but "Equal Access" is a new one on me.

>---
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.folklore.urban/msg/a8bd2a6505a9594c
>"Dead Guy in Sportscar," alt.folklore.urban, Dec. 24, 1998
>I've never encountered this one in the wild, but it's featured in four of the three Brunvand books (_The Vanishing Hitchhiker_, _The Choking Doberman_, _The Mexican Pet_, and _The Baby Train_).
>---
>
>--Ben Zimmer

FOUR of the THREE?