Heard on The Boondocks: "go for the okey-doke'

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 1 05:56:49 UTC 2009

Grandad:

"Grandaddy ain't _goin' fo' the okey-doke_, this time!" (He's been
played by a series of chicks that he found on online dating sites.)

_Go for the okey-doke_ "allow oneself to be tricked/scammed/played for
a fool" is an old slang phrase dating at least from the 'Sixties. This
is the first time that I've heard it in dekkids and my first
indication that it isn't specific to Los Angeles.

[The Boondocks - the suburbs, from the urban-black POV - is a
satirical, black-oriented, animated-cartoon serial parodying black
life that was too heavy for BET and now can be seen only late at night
on the Cartoon Channel's [adult swim](sic).

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain