"close line"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 1 20:10:18 UTC 2009

At 7:47 PM +0000 2/1/09, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>This suggests to me that ho is not rare ; mu ex-wife said this too.
>Or maybe I married your ex-gf?

Ha.  Sadly, though, these innocently whimsical back-formed singulars
(for "ho", not "clo") are now victims of the fell circumstance of
taboo avoidance.  (Actually, there would be potential for taboo
avoidance in the other case too, but only for German-English
bilinguals; in German "Klo"  = 'toilet', as in [water] clo[set]; cf.
the classic (early '80's) explicit gay autobiographical film "Taxi
zum Klo".)

LH