Nouns into Intransitive Verbs-Hoover and Beaver

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 1 20:30:05 UTC 2009

US, I'm sure. I don't think my Lower East Side mother-in-law, whose native
language was Yiddish and who came over from Poland shortly before the
Holocaust, would have been influenced by BrE. Come to think of it, I think
my maternal grandmother, born NYC 1891 of Russian Jewish immigrant parents,
used the same verb.

I immediately understood verb "beaver" as < the proverbial comparison "busy
as a beaver".

Mark Mandel