1955 "-wise" vector; antedatings of "misty" and "Enjoy!"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 2 15:12:33 UTC 2009

I'd missed this. Do you have any idea how frequently "-wise" is actually
used in _1984_?

The entire question becomes moot, however, when I consult the HDAS files and
discover this:

1904 Edward W. Townsend _Sure!_ (N.Y.: Dodd, Mead) 94: De show was a winner,
boodle-wise. [I.e., "money-wise"]

So it may be that Madison Avenue got the suffix from Avenue A.
Nevertheless, these "-wise" usages seem to be vanishingly rare in print
before the 1950s. A 1966 quote asserts that college students in Washington,
D.C., were notable users of "-wise" in 1951.  Maybe Orwell picked it up from
some American source and found it particularly loathsome.

JL