Definition of "Netbook"

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 3 02:39:29 UTC 2009

http://news.cnet.com/what-is-a-netbook-computer/
A Netbook is a new type of laptop computer, defined by size, price,
horsepower, and operating system. They are small, cheap, under-powered,
and run either an old or unfamiliar operating system.
Size-wise, Netbooks have 9- or 10-inch screens, weigh from 2 to 3
pounds, and sport keyboards sized from 80 percent to 95 percent of normal.
Price-wise, Netbooks start at about (all prices are rounded off and
approximate) $330 for a Linux-based model and $350 for an XP-based
machine. The high end of the Netbook price range is debatable. To me,
anything over $500 isn't a Netbook. Still, many companies are marketing
computers they refer to as Netbooks for more than that. When HP first
released their Mini-Notes, prices ran from $500 to $1,200.
[Update: As of October 15, 2008 prices at HP's website range from $400
to $780.]

Despite a huge proliferation of Netbook models, these specs seem to be
standard:

Screen resolution 1024x600
Intel Atom CPU running at 1.6-GHz
Wi-Fi B and G
Ethernet at 100Mbps
A slot for a flash RAM memory card
External VGA output jack
Integrated graphics
Two or three USB ports
Built-in camera
Headphone and microphone jacks

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10061318-1.html
In perhaps the final step towards mainstream acceptance, the eagle-eyed
gang over at Laptop mag just spotted
<http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-buy-helps-define-netbook-for-customers>
Netbooks getting their own category over at Best Buy, complete with an
"official" explanation
<http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat163300050051&type=category>
of what it means to be a Netbook:

"A netbook is a streamlined mobile device designed for the Internet, so
you can stay connected on the go. Get up-to-date news, the latest scores
and weather information, access your e-mail and social networking sites,
and enjoy digital videos, photos and music.

"Netbooks may look like laptops, but they don't have the full
capabilities of a computer. Instead, a netbook specializes in mobility
and the Web, so it's great for travel or as a supplement to your main PC."

http://geek2live.blogspot.com/2008/09/netbook-what-is-netbook.html
The term netbook was re-introduced by Intel in February 2008 to describe
a category of small-sized, low-cost, light weight, lean function
subnotebooks optimized for Internet access and core computing functions
(e.g., word processing) — either directly from applications installed on
the netbook itself or indirectly, via cloud computing. More than 50
million Netbooks are expected to be in widespread circulation by 2011.
Netbooks (or sub-notebooks as they may be known) typically come with an
7-inch to 10-inch screen.

Netbooks are "small laptops that are designed for wireless communication
and access to the Internet. And they cost about $250, making Netbooks a
potentially disruptive and high volume market segment. Even though
Netbooks won’t be confused with full-featured laptops, my hunch is that
tons of people around the world will be attracted to a low-cost machine
that plugs them in. The Netbook will expand the global PC market. By how
much is a matter of conjecture."

Similarly to netbook, the term nettop refers to similarly low-cost,
lean-function, desktop devices. Both netbook and nettop platforms
combine a lean operating system (e.g., Linux) with a low voltage,
power-optimized processor such as the Intel Atom, the VIA C7 or the AMD
Geode. - I tested AMD Geode and VIA C7 , and I always like the VIA one
more , but power/heat consumption of the AMD Geode is much less.

The term netbook was originally introduced by Psion in 1999 as a generic
term for small form-factor portable computers with a laptop like
clamshell design and sufficent processing power for office, internet and
web work. The Psion Netbook was a small line of netbooks which ran a
custom version of Psions Epoc Operating System and later WinCE. Psion
Netbooks never gained significant market share and their production was
discontinued.

==

Is this enough? There is also Wiki and Webopedia, WhatIs, BlogCatalog, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

Simple search for [what-is netbook] gives you dozens of options.

VS-)