"dungarees"

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Feb 3 11:42:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 00:05:29 -0500, Alice Faber <faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU>
wrote:

> Mark Mandel wrote:
>> Good heavens! AFAIR I've always known the word "dungarees", possibly
> before
>> I knew them as jeans. (Grew up in the 50s in the NYC suburbs.)
>>

> Likewise. Even though my parents probably would have called them "blue
> jeans" at the time (not just "jeans"), I do remember thinking of
> "dungarees" as a more old-fashioned term than "jeans".

For completion's sake, do you use "dungarees" also for this garment
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xx-tweety-bird-xx/2969129824/ (independently
of material), or do you call it "overalls", or something entirely
different?

Cheers,

Chris Waigl