Punxutawney Phil

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 3 11:45:28 UTC 2009

Feb 2 is Groundhog day in US.  If Punxutawney Phil, the groundhog at Punxutawney Pennsylvania, sees his shadow, it's 6 more weeks of winter.  He's been about 60% wrong in this prediction.

Locals pronounced it as punks-a-TAW-nee   ~Punksuttaunee

Poor Phil has fallen victim to the awe droppers.  A local weather forecaster hereabouts in S FL has renamed the rodent punks-a-TAH-nee (~Punksuttaanee) Phil.  Have they no shame.

To me this means that some folks either will not say the sound "awe" or have some sort of speech impediment.  Will Milwaukee now be pronounced mil-WOK-ee ~Milwwaakee instead of mil-WALK-ee ~Milwwaukee.  Well if you listen to the speaker at m-w.com it already is (event though the notation indicates the "awe" vowel.  But when you listen to "awe" at m-w.com, the same lady speaker says "ah".  Not good for this otherwise very good product).

I wonder if Milwaukee'ns prefer walky or wocky?

see truespel.com

http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009