Punxutawney Phil

Tue Feb 3 17:20:14 UTC 2009

Tom,
Pnnxsutawney is right in the middle of an old merger belt.  If your
locals had [O] in it, they probably had one in "Don" too.  They've
been AWE-droppers for centuries, though they actually might be AH-
droppers rather than AWE-droppers.  Same throughout W PA, adjoining
parts of OH, WV...

Milwaukee residents usually make the distinction, though they may
have a low back UNROUNDED vowel there, as opposed to the front one in
"rocky".  A stereotype pronunciation sounds like "Mwocky" to a NY
area person like myself.

Paul Johnston