Dungarees

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 3 23:39:31 UTC 2009

For the sake of completeness: waaaaay back in the late '50s or very early
'60s I became familiar with the term "Levis" only because the NBC  series
_Death Valley Days_, which told only true (well, truthy) stories about the
early West ran an episode about a young guy trying to make it in the
high-powered world of Gold Rush fashion.  At the end, the host,  "the Old
Ranger," revealed that the young entrepeneur was none other than Levi
Strauss, "whose product is known as 'Levis' to this very day."

I remember thinking something along the lines of "known by who(m)"?

Even now I think of "Levis" as a literary - or at least televisual - term

JL