LaGuardia ", La Bomba"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 9 02:11:12 UTC 2009

At 8:46 PM -0500 2/8/09, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>No insult intended. I am simply stating linguistic fact (see Larry's
>response). Check any elementary textbook on English phonology.
>
>People do not always know what it is that they really do when they talk. I
>doubt very much that people do find you stilted and artificial, precisely
>because you do not behave the way you think you do.

I think we've already found some legitimate variation among New
Yorkers on this, though.  Besides Joel (a no-schwa guy) and me (a
double-schwa guy), there's Mark (single schwa, in the "Guardia").  I
just asked my wife, a non-linguist who grew up in NY and Connecticut,
what the other airport in New York besides Kennedy is called and she
said it precisely Mark's way.  When I asked her why, she said "Wasn't
that his name?"  So one man's stilted and artificial may be another
man's, or woman's, careful.

Carelessly,
LH