mangled messages

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 9 16:43:22 UTC 2009

I saw in my mailbox:

from    RonButters at aol.com
reply-to    American Dialect Society <ADS-L at listserv.uga.edu>
to    ADS-L at listserv.uga.edu
date    Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM
subject    Re:       Re: [ADS-L] last laugh on awe-dropping
mailed-by    listserv.uga.edu

SGFzIHRoaXMgZ3V5IGxlYXJuZWQgTk9USElORyBhYm91dCB0aGUgc3RhcmRhcmQgcGhvbm9s
[...]
<<<

I asked,

> Want to try that one again, Ron?

Ron answered:

> Something must be wrong with your computer.

Maybe so. I'm using Gmail in Firefox 3.0.6 with WinXP Pro, SP3.

But I'm not having this problem with other posts, and we know that our
listserver is relatively intolerant. E.g., I have to remember to post here
in "plain text" or risk my message's being mangled as above, although no
other list that I'm on (American Name Society comes to mind) has/causes such
problems.

So: was it just me, or did anyone else have trouble reading that post of
Ron's? (Sun, 8:42 pm, Re:       Re: [ADS-L] last laugh on awe-dropping).

Mark Mandel