"bodge"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 9 21:26:51 UTC 2009

At 2/9/2009 11:41 AM, Grant Barrett wrote:
>On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:35, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>
>>I do not doubt this (viz. googleplexwhack).  Perhaps I should have
>>written it as a question:  "Should it be in the OED?"
>
>I'm curious. Why this word? Why not any of the thousands of others at
>Urban Dictionary that are better attested and also missing from
>mainstream dictionaries and OED?

On another list, a Brit used "bodge (v.)" in the OED-sanctioned sense
of "To patch or mend clumsily."  I had to look up its meaning in the
OED.  (BTW, I  later noticed via Google that someone had used the
clever phrase "artful bodger".)  Someone else on the list Googled,
found the urbandictionary other definition, and reported it.  So I
"asked" about it here.

If Grant meant "why googleplexwhack", that's from another chain,
where I coined it for a single word that gets only one g-hit --
clearly a feat more impressive than "googlewhack", a pair of words
that gets only one g-hit.

Joel