Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn"

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Feb 10 15:16:13 UTC 2009

From:    Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>

<snip>

> The European community met in 1987 to come up with an alternative to
> the IPA phonetic notation because it was not computer friendly.  They
> came up with SAMPA which has been modified to XSAMPA.  Neither of
> which are English friendly nor actually computer friendly.  Try this
> - Copy paste the word "international" in IPA notation here.

Whose pronunciation? Also, as email clients become Unicode-friendly, IPA
being computer-unfriendly becomes less and less of an issue--but even if
you want to insist on ASCII representations, there are at least two
relatively widely used methods of representing IPA symbols using ASCII
characters, one rather more simple and the other more precise but (IMO
overly) complex.

<snip>

> Who in USA uses IPA or SAMPA for kids for English phonetics
> instruction?  I pity the poor kids.  Truespel can be used for kids.
> The English speaking world suffers for lack of a reasonable phonetic
> spelling standard.

Please present evidence (non-anecdotal evidence, please) that Truespel
works well

<pause />

Yeah, i know--i promised some time ago not to respond. Moment of weakness.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida