Most common sound for words ending in letter "a"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 10 17:09:33 UTC 2009

I looked at the truespel database for words ending in letter "a" to see how they're pronounced as I interpret talking dictionaires saying them.  If you discount words "sea, tea, la, ta, ha" the sound is 100% ~u (uh).  Note, I estimate that the top 5k words make up about 90% of the words seen on a page of typical text.  They are the most popular words.

The copied spreadsheet data at bottom are in the following 4 columns:
tradspel ~truespel  count phoneme

tz

Count of last vowel sounds for words ending in "a"
by Tom Zurinskas - using the truespel spreadsheet database

Data are from Collins Cobuild (15 million words in text)
for the top 5,000 English words in common media text.
My phonetic interpretation is as heard from two USA talking dictionaries

Results
For 99% of USA English words ending in the letter "a"
the sound is ~u (uh) as in the most common  word "a."
Also, take the word "a" out, and it's 84%.

Sound instances words  top word
~u (uh) 455798 38 a
~ee  4412 2 tea
~aa (ah) 1515 3 la