Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 03:25:24 UTC 2009

As one who has the merger - speaking loosely, of course, since, for
me, there was no merger, it being the case that "card" and "cord" have
*always* both been pronounced as "card," wherein "a" is the back, low,
unround vowel sometimes represented as alpha; I wasn't consciously
aware of any other pronunciation till I was well grown - I don't see
how "cored" could present a problem, since it's /kor/+/d/. When my
mother /kor/+/d/ apples to make baked apples, she didn't /kard/+/d/
them. Or maybe your point escapes me.

-Wilson
–––
-----