All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 03:59:39 UTC 2009

I wonder how Tom would read his text, as a list of words or as
connected speech.  If he's reading it as connected speech, then he may
be missing /m/.  The <m> in "jumped," like nasals before final
voiceless stops generally, is frequently not articulated and shows up
only as nasality on the vowel.  In more careful speech, as in a word
list, labial closure may precede velic closure so that [m] will be
pronounced.  And does he have the same vowel in "dog" and "for"?
Also, does he have a schwa before the /r/ in "over"?  If so, he joins
a small number of varieties of English that have the [@r]
pronunciation.  I know he doesn't consider schwa a phoneme in English,
but does he allow for syllabic nasals and liquids?  From his
respellings, I suspect he doesn't.

Herb