All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 05:17:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder how Tom would read his text, as a list of words or as
> connected speech.  If he's reading it as connected speech, then he may
> be missing /m/.  The <m> in "jumped," like nasals before final
> voiceless stops generally, is frequently not articulated and shows up
> only as nasality on the vowel.

That strikes me as very strange.  /p/ is bilabial anyway, so why would
the /m/ just nasalize the vowel?  In transcriptions (of TV shows,
specifically Friends, Star Trek Enterprise, and Prison Break) that
I've been doing recently, the only time I've seen a vowel get
nasalized as an alternative to articulating the nasal is when a word
ends in a vowel + /n/, and the next word starts with /w/.

Maybe it happens at speeds upwards of 600 syllables per minute, but I
doubt that TZ's sentence is supposed to be read that fast.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China