All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 21:14:19 UTC 2009

 _haeN at r_ from _aeNg at r_ or _s at n_from _s at N_.

I copy pasted the above from below and it looks like they became blue color web addresses right now before sending this message.  I wonder how they'll come through.  IPA is useless.

Also.  Please don't tell me IPA says that the @ signs above are the same sound.  They are different phonemes altogether. in truespel they are ~haenger ~aenger ~sun ~sung.  Absolutely ridiculous denoting those two sounds with the same symbol.
Note that ~ae is long a as in Mae ~Mae.

I find it hard to believe anyone says hanger without a full "g".

anger
banger
hanger

Also for

bane
bang
band

I'd say that the "a" in "bang" is closer to "bane" than "band"

see truespel.com

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:17:01 -0500
> From: laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
> Subject: Re: All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn"> "worn")
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn">
> "worn")
>
> At 11:13 AM -0500 2/13/09, M Covarrubias wrote:
>>On Feb 13, 2009, at 5:36 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>>
>>>"Son/sun" have the same vowel as "sung" ~sun/~sung as I hear in m-
>>>w.com
>>>

>>it follows that the difference is not in the vowel but in the final
>>consonant.
>>
>>the first vowel in "hanger" is the same as the vowel in "anger" but
>>the first has a voiced velar stop after the velar nasal and the second
>>does not. you're system cannot capture this difference. if you're ok
>>with that then good luck with it.
>>
>>you're not looking for accuracy, you seem to be looking for ease and
>>convenience. your system is certainly easy because it tolerates a very
>>sloppy analysis of what sounds actually occur in english. all the
>>problematic examples that have been posted are evidence of this.
>>
>>it's fine that you're happy with a notation system that gets "close
>>enough" to an accurate representation. your standards are your own to
>>live with. but it does no good for those transcriptions that require
>>linguists to make consequential distinctions in pronunciation. the
>>convenience of a qwerty keyboard isn't all that tempting when
>>precision is more highly valued.
>>
> And, to be fair, the problem isn't really with the inadequacies of
> qwerty keyboards, which are real but not necessarily decisive in all
> cases of desired precision. The ASCII-ized IPA, limited as it may
> be, has no problem distinguishing _haeN at r_ from _aeNg at r_ or _s at n_
> from _s at N_. It's the old biuniqueness issue, and the phonemic
> principle.
>
> LH

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_022009