All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Fri Feb 13 22:00:24 UTC 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Barbara Need wrote:

> Then be surprised. I do not have a [g] in that word.
>

> On 13 Feb 2009, at 3:14 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>
>> I find it hard to believe anyone says hanger without a full "g".

the pronunciation of the various words "hanger" and of (airplane)
"hangar" with plain engma (and not engma + g or nasalized vowel + g)
is absolutely standard, and is the only one given in standard
dictionaries.  pronunciations with g in them are certainly attested,
but they're non-standard.

arnold