All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 23:24:59 UTC 2009

from m-w.com

Main Entry:1han·gar
Pronunciation:\ˈhaŋ-ər, ˈhaŋ-gər\

The speakers pronounce the words both ways.  I doubt I would even recognize the first pronunciation with no g.  The second I would say is standard for both hanger and hangar.  Note in the second the first "a" is long and the "g" is strong.  The first pronunciation souds like "hanyer" with a short a as in hand.  To me "hanyer" is a word I don't know.

Listen to "hang" then "hanging" in m-w.com.  The speaker says no g in hang, but when saying "hanging" the "g" comes back.  Words are not meant to be said in isolation.  If "hang" is said before a word starting with a vowel the "g" comes back.  Thus, it should always be represented with the "g" because words should be depicted as used in speach.

see truespel.com

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009