preposition - zero variation

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 16 20:18:43 UTC 2009

arnold, how about:

NP1 VP1 _for_ NP2 to VP2

as in sentences like:

"I would like _for_ you to comment on this insertion of? / failure to
delete? _for_."

as opposed to:

"I' would like _0_  you to comment on this ..."

That is, is this only a BE and other non-standard usage or has its use
among the general population merely escaped my notice? I sometimes
notice it - after the fact - when I unmonitoredly use it and I
sometimes notice it when other people use it.

But, it's like "fuck over," back in 1960. The assumption that
*everybody* uses a particular structure as well as the assumption that
only [ingroup] uses it can both be wrong, as I've pointed out to
others and as others have pointed out to me.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain