Surprise

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Mon Feb 16 22:08:12 UTC 2009

Arnold Zwicky wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Surprise
>
> On Feb 16, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Randy Alexander wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Surprise
>>
>> 1. Does anyone with a rhotic dialect rhoticize the first "r" in
>> "surprise" (I don't).
>
> i don't either, but there are some who do -- and some who disparage
> the "dropping" of the first r in "surprise" as gross mispronunciation.
>

>> 2. Does anyone know of any other words that in your rhotic dialect
>> that have an unrhoticized postvocalic "r"?
>
> there's an inventory of these in a paper by Nancy Hall, available here:
>    http://www.csulb.edu/~nhall2/

For me:  cartridge (which Nancy Hall lists)
Partridge

I say "bobwire" informally; speaking more formally,  I pronounce the r
in "barbed wire."

Grew up in the 1950s in Ulster County, NY.

In Minneapolis, I often see "formerly" written as "formally."

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."