Many schwas

Tue Feb 17 16:15:43 UTC 2009

And, actually, this many schwa system goes way back--you'll find it
in many 18th century works on pronunciation, for instance.  The
question is--and people are torn about it-- since one of the purposes
of these early pronunciation guides was to link sounds to spellings,
could this system simply be a way of showing that schwa is spelled
several different ways (& secondary spelling pronunciations with full
vowels might arise from  that, or did 18th century English really
distinguish these vowels somehow (certainly NOT late 19th century
English, though--the Century dictionary is no doubt following
tradition).  I was trained to believe the first, but there are people
like Charles Jones who maintain the second.  If so, Tom is 200 years
out of date, a misplaced contemporary of Sheridan and Walker.

Paul Johnston