Expression "hand over fist" -- A History Channel folk etymology? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Feb 18 16:54:37 UTC 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

This method of coining money predates the expression by centuries, if
not millennia.   Odd that it (the expression) took so long to develop.
(and thus I doubt the accuracy of the etymology).

> "The matter as I understand it...the phrase refers to the process by
> which money is made, in this sense it is equivalent to the more modern
> expression of 'printing money', both simply references to the
> manufacturing process.  At one stage in the history of money it was
> made by first creating a flat sheet of a precious metal at a given
> thickness.  Then, much like using a cookie punch on cookie dough, one
> uses a cylindrical tool to stamp out round discs, the excess metal
left
> over from the punches can then be re-melted in the next batch, so all
> the metal is preserved.  After the metal is cut into a disc a mallet
> and printing device are then used to stamp both sides of the coin.
The