Surprise

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 19 02:47:40 UTC 2009

I was taught that there was no "t" pronounced in "often" and so I obeyed.  I was taught that there was no "r" in surprise, and so I obeyed.  I would hope it that reasonable minds would work toward a common English so that there is minimal misinterpretation.  That includes the reduction of homonyms expecially created by the awe to ah merger.

The spelling of English "serves well"?  Not as good as it could.  There are twice as many dislectic English speakers as Italian speakers.  Italian has a more consistently phonetic spelling.

Actually, with pronunciation changes should come spelling changes as well.  No?  Why not "laf" instead of "laugh"?  This is working with what we have, not what we had centuries ago.

see truespel.com