~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Fri Feb 20 14:58:35 UTC 2009

My understanding is that a particular regional accent (Midlands?) is
taken to be the most neutral (most mutually intelligible?) and so is
used as the base for the "standard" American accent (for dictionary
prons, for broadcasting). Calling it standard doesn't change the fact
that it is in fact a regional accent that has been privileged by
being deemed the norm. Dictionary prons. list regional variants;
individual broadcasters vary from the "standard."

My understanding is that just as in historical languages we recognize
that the languages of our edited texts are in fact a construct
reflecting a dominant dialect or reflecting aspects (there is no
manuscript recording Old Norse or Old English exactly as it appears
in our grammars), standard American English is a construct not spoken
perfectly by anyone individual, and the standard American accent is a
construct not spoken perfectly by anyone individual.

---Amy West

(Who only had 1 college linguistics class, but has worked in the
lexicographic field, studies dead languages, and wishes she had a
heckuvalot more linguistics background.)