relative "that" again

Gerald Walton gww at OLEMISS.EDU
Sat Feb 21 16:17:56 UTC 2009

Interesting. I can certainly see how both "that"s mentioned could be
called subordinating conjunctions. I quickly point out that my study
of grammar is from the pedagogical grammars.
I                   learned of two types of subordinating
conjunctions--a simple subordinating conjunction and a functional
connective. I quote from the grammar book I studied in the mid 1950s:
"A simple coordinating conjunction has as its sole function the
joining of a subordinate clause to the element on which it depends."
The example given is "I will donate five dollars if you will." The
functional connective type of subordinating conjunction "joins a
subordinate clause to the element on which it depends but at the same
time functions grammatically in its own clause as a substantive, an
adjective, or an adverb," as in "I will donate five dollars when you
do," with "when" a functional subordinating connective--connecting
the two clauses and serving as an adverbial modifier of "do (donate)."

To repeat, then, my grammar would say "I know that you met the guy"
contains a simple subordinate conjunction whose only purpose is to
introduce the subordinate clause, whereas the "that" in  "The guy
that you met" is a functional connective (it introduces the
subordinate clause and also serves as a relative pronoun in its own clause).

Thanks much,
Gerald