de Tocqueville; was Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 01:14:20 UTC 2009

I can't find the quote.  I remember being impressed at Alexis de Tocqueville's (July 29, 1805 – April 16, 1859) observations on America .  He was impressed that he could travel the country and speak one language.

Below site is de Tocqueville on the effect of American Democracy on English language

http://books.google.com/books?id=LXbJ8jdEYYoC&pg=PA477&lpg=PA477&dq=de+tocqueville+on+english+language&source=bl&ots=9zrEIev35d&sig=W_16FIj0ahGEdXh5b6FNuqVc3dI&hl=en&ei=RqagSZnGEZjAtgefsoyMDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

see truespel.com

> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0500
> From: djmetevia at CHARTERMI.NET
> Subject: Re: de Tocqueville; was Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: David Metevia
> Subject: Re: de Tocqueville; was Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> I agree he didn't make it coast to coast but did make it at least as far
> west as Michigan.

Windows Live™: Discover 10 secrets about the new Windows Live.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!7540.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_ugc_post_022009