de Tocqueville; was Re: ~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 01:45:58 UTC 2009

Besides, it's not possible, except in theory, to go from coast to
coast or from border to border and be fully and easily understood.
When I moved from Saint Louis to Los Angeles, I found that I was
continually and annoyingly being asked what it was that I had just
said, though I had no problem understanding what people said to me.

When I started working at Harvard, I fielded a telephone call for
someone named "Tanney." I replied that there was no such person at
that number. I was later much chagrined to discover that the name,
"Tierney," as pronounced in Bostonian, is nearly indistinguishable
from the string, "Tanney," as that is spoken in Boston, roughly,
[ti at ni] vs. [ti&ni] and that there were no fewer than three Brothers
Tierney working in my area. Theretofore, I'd considered the
pronunciation of "Tierney" to be [tirni].

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain