Fw: [ADS-L] "slurring"?

Sun Feb 22 17:59:37 UTC 2009

Allegro speech is not "careless" nor is it "slurred". It follows rules that vary from dialect to dialect. Speech in which no allegro rules are followed is not "careful," it is unusual, and sounds stilted.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>

Date:         Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:20:06
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Fw: [ADS-L] "slurring"?

I hasten to classify myself as an "amateur", but one with a better than
average knowledge of language.

In my foreign language studies some (many) years ago, I recall phonetic
realizations varying according to speed and carefulness of articulation...a
phrase pronounced one way under conditions of careful speech, and maybe
another way with careless and/or rapid speech.

I will concede that this may be no longer precise or scientific enough.

However, I believe you understand the concept of what we are saying here, so
can you provide a more current or linguistically acceptable term?

Bill Palmer